http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

Monday, July 9, 2012

How Do You Explain Death To A Toddler

This is a question I find myself asking al ot lately.  Recently we lost two wonderful people in our lives.  First, John who you see in the pictures below with Arabella and I.  He was one of our beloved clients and friends.  John and Arabella had a special bond.  She would help him workout by handing him his weights, holding his hand or simply make him laugh while I gave him his dreaded workouts.  He didn't like to work out but as long as I had my secret weapon (Arabella : ) with me, we could make it through.

 He was a great listener.  He had to be because when you got me and his daughter, Claire together, we became chatty Cathy's : )  He had such a gracious heart.  He would always give both of us a hug after the work out and tell us how much he loved us.  We love you, John.
 Jill passed very shortly after John.  You can see them both in the picture below.  I am so thankful that we were able to have them both over to our house this past Easter.  Their children are best friends, so they became friends too.

Jill is my adopted Grandmother.  She holds a special place in my heart.  You can see that is made a big impression on Arabella too. : ) 
Jill was an amazing dancer aside from being an AMAZING person.  I promise to carry on her "lovely hula hands" dance even though I could never do it as beautiful as she did.  Jill, I will miss your amazing insight, love and compliments.
Back to the question- How do you explain death to a toddler?  I don't know the answer to this but I try to follow my intuition and feel things out on things like this.

When Arabella and I were going to visit John's daughter for the first time after he passed, she asked if John was still sick.  I said (deep breath) he actually went to heaven.  She said "my friends are dead".  Moment of shock by what she just said, but then thought how intuitive that was of her.  She then went on to talk about her baby dolls.  When we got to John and Claire's house she asked where John was.  I got down on the floor with her and told her he went to heaven.  She seemed fine with that and went on to play with her toys.  Later, she told me she was glad John and bunny (their 25 year old beloved cat that past away last year) were able to play in heaven together. tear. 

I'm still not sure the right or wrong answer on this but I know following your heart and intuition is always right.  And, I am always open it suggestions and ideas.

We will miss you greatly, John and Jill.

Love,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment