http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

Friday, July 6, 2012

How To TuTu

Nothing is better than a tutu to brighten your day.  Arabella would wear one everyday if she could.  I have made her several versions and put them with T-shirts to make them more everyday wear. 


I made this (pic below) European style tutu for my friend Mandy.  We did a dance competition together and she needed a tutu for her part.  The typical European style tutu's cost around $400 so I decided to try to make hers.  It was only $35 when the tulle went on sale at Hobby Lobby.

Arabella had to have one after she saw Mandy's.  This is Arabella practicing her dance before we competed on stage.   Not to brag but we did win platinum and got a 5 out of 5 on costumes. : ) 
If you have read my blog before, you know that I am not a skilled seamstress.  I just try to be creative with the skills I do have.  I hand sewed this one because the tulle is so thick. 
I made pleats with 8 layers of tulle.  Sewed it to elastic then flipped it upside down to created a tutu that stands out more.  That is what is different about a European Tutu- they stick out.
This multi-colored tutu that you can see below is made by knots.  I bought tulle at Hobby Lobby on the spindle and cut four strips at a time.  I doubled the length that I wanted the tutu to be and made a knot in the center around her elastic.

I think it makes it more fun if it isn't perfect, even lengths all the way around.   Or that is what I tell myself so I don't stress over it being perfect. : )

Happy Tutuing!

-Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment