http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homemade Bread

Is there nothing better then the smell of Homemade Bread baking in the oven?  Or that first warm slice with a little melted butter on it.

One of my goals when we moved out to the farm, was to make all of our bread fresh from scratch and without a bread machine.  I was inspired to do this after I read my favorite cook book- "The Organic Family Cookbook".  Anni (the author) and her family did this for one year straight.  She talks about how it brought and extra loaf of love into their home. : )

The process of making the bread is just as fun as eating it in the eyes of a toddler.  Arabella LOVES being able to make a mess and feel it squish through her hands.  I let her get as messy as she wants (as you can see about it in the pic).  I usually have to take a couple deep breathes during the process when I see the counter and floors. : )

My recipe-

I buy the organic wheat berries from New Leaf (my local health food co-op).  I then grind them in my whisper mill.  This creates a super nutritious flour that is easier to digest. 

6 cups flour
1 tsp salt (I like Celtic sea salt because it has more minerals in it)
2 cups warm water
2 Tbs active dry yeast
1 Tbs honey

Mix together flour and salt.  Dissolve yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes.  Add honey to that (the warm water will help it dissolve).  Mix all together and knead your bread for about 10 minutes.  Put in warm area (I put mine in a slightly warm oven if its not warm enough outside), covered with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.  Split the recipe in half and make two loaves.  Place 3 Tbs. olive oil in bottom of loaf pans.  Brush the tops of the loaves with egg (this will give a nice crisp crust).  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Breaking bread with the ones you love is such a blessing!


This picture above is from one of our Sunday Suppers.  We have been so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family come together on Sundays to "break bread" together. 


Love,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment