http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/1460/asInline.html

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fabulous Fried Green Tomatoes


I don't know if I was just craving fried green tomatoes or if I couldn't exercise any more patience, waiting for the tomatoes to be ripe in my garden.  I LOVE fried green tomatoes.  I feel like I am indulging in something I shouldn't, but they are really healthy for you this way. The tomatoes have ton of anti-oxidants, lycopene (one of the #1 cancer fighters) and vitamin C (helps your immune system). Olive oil has healthy fats to help your brain. Eggs and milk have protein. And we need those healthy carbs for energy, Mamas! Dada was upset here because he had to wait for his tomatoes. Don't mess with men and their food!
Here's my recipe:
4 Green Tomatoes
1 cup spelt flour *
1/4 cup corn flour
1/4 cup olive oil 1 organic, pastured egg 1 cup organic milk, raw milk is best salt and pepper to taste * Spelt is a cousin of wheat but is easier to digest and has more nutritional benefits.  Also, I used freshly ground flour because I am borrowing my friends Whisper Mill.  If  you aren't lucky enough to have your own mill, you can use whatever organic versions of flour you want. Heat your skillet (I use cast iron) with your oil in it at med/high. Slice your tomatoes in rounds. Mix together the egg and milk in one bowl. Mix your flour, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dip the tomatoes in the egg/milk mixture, then dip in the flour. Repeat one more time. Place the tomatoes in the hot skillet for about 2 minutes on each side (or until brown).   Pour a glass of red wine and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment